10,000 maniacs + gratuitous Francis Ng pix

April 3, 2009 at 7:36 am 9 comments

Walking softly and carrying a big sword, Francis Ng, Chasing Shadows, 2009

Walking softly and carrying a big sword, Francis Ng, Chasing Shadows, 2009

Hey! This blog just got it’s ten-thousandth hit (thanks, Edison) so in honor of reaching that milestone I’m posting some gratuitous pictures of the reason I started blogging in the first place. So here’s a recent publicity still from Chasing Shadows, Francis Ng’s upcoming wuxia movie which is now in postproduction. Note the excellent updo that Francis is sporting, which suggests a touch of goth in the art-direction mix.

Going out for snacks, Francis Ng & friend

Going out for snacks, Francis Ng & friend

Francis has been getting into some extracurricular trouble lately with “production assistants” and “music consultants” while editing Chasing Shadows in Beijing. He’s been spied wandering around late at night with women who are not his wife (who just gave birth back in October), supposedly walking with his arm around one of them and suspiciously playing loud music in his apartment at all hours of the night. It’s all conjecture and speculation, of course, but it makes for good tawdry unsubstantiated gossip so the Chinese press is all over it. Look out for those telephoto lenses, Francis, the next time you visit the 7/11 at midnight!

Francis gets caught with his hand in the cookie jar, 2007

Francis gets caught with his hand in the cookie jar, 2007

Francis is apparently getting a rep for being a playa in Hong Kong entertainment circles. A couple years ago he was caught on video canoodling in a karaoke bar (video below) with Ellen Chen, who played a sexy prostitute alongside Francis in Exiled. At first he denied it but when confronted with the videotaped evidence he ‘fessed up. Luckily he managed to get his wife to publicly forgive him.

Last year he attempted some damage control by releasing a series of pictures of said wife, then pregnant, and himself in marital bliss, with Francis dutifully following her around Hong Kong while she window-shopped. It was also noted that he cooked special soup for her during her pregnancy.

orange-kid

Two of a kind, Francis & Feynman Ng, 2009

Some other conveniently shot pictures from this February showed Francis, wife, and infant son Feynman (named for the physicist) tooling around Hong Kong, with father and son in matching orange outfits.

Method acting, Francis & co-star

Method acting, Francis & co-star

But Francis’ attempts to salvage his rep have taken a hit these past couple weeks with the gossip about his purported shenanigans in Beijing. Reports also mention his close personal relationship with starlet Jiang Yi-Yan, who played his mistress in Deadly Delicious. Apparently the two prepped for their make-out scenes by drinking together, which lead to some pretty convincing love scenes.

It’s none of my business what celebrities do in their personal lives but I’m always surprised when they get caught on film or video messing where they shouldn’t be messing. It should be patently obvious that when you’re a movie star, you’re living in a fishbowl and you should be on guard at all times against sneaky papparrazi with hidden cameras. There have been rumors for a long time that a couple of the Heavenly Kings are gay (you get to guess which ones) but there has never been a scrap of supporting evidence to prove it, even with Hong Kong’s notorious media machine constantly on the prowl. So there are three probable scenarios at work here:

1. Francis Ng has really poor judgment.

2. Francis Ng has really lax handlers.

3. Francis Ng has nothing to be guilty about and he just likes having business meetings with his production staff in the middle of the night in his private apartment.

You make the call.

Note: Thanks to dleedlee for the translation help and advice. You rock.

UPDATE: Thanks to the hkmdb for more Francis Ng damage control. How many times can he trot out his wife & kid to show he’s a happily married man? Sorry for the cynicism but it seems awfully calculated to me. That said, I do hope it works because one of the greatest pleasures in my life is watching Francis Ng act on the screen and I’d hate to see his career flounder, for whatever reason. Luckily Edison Chen is providing a much better distraction for the HK press & public so hopefully Francis will get a pass.

Bonus video: Francis Ng & Ellen Chen get busy. Canoodling starts around :46. Warning: bad karaoke singing.

UPDATE 2: Francis has been cast in a couple new Hong Kong flicks, Laughing Gor, which is based on the popular Michael Tse television character, and Most Wanted Terrorist, Dante Lam’s follow-up to Beast Stalker. There’s also the upcoming summer release of Tracing Shadow, which Francis stars in and co-directed, so I guess his peccadillos haven’t hurt his career too badly. Edison Chen should probably get a special award for running interference for everyone these days in Hong Kong.

Advertisements

Entry filed under: Uncategorized. Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , .

A God And A King: Chow Yun-Fat and Shah Rukh Khan All For The Winner: 28th Hong Kong Film Awards

9 Comments Add your own

• 1. dleedlee  |  April 3, 2009 at 2:27 pm

Congratulations on the 10k! And thanks for the props, too.:)

I forgot about, or missed, the karaoke incident. But then again, I’m not following his ‘affairs’ as some people. 😉

• 2. valeriesoe  |  April 3, 2009 at 2:59 pm

Hey D,

you wrote:

That’s my job, so no worries. Thanks again for the help! I’m still amazed that any celebrity would allow himself to be caught off-guard. Especially since it’s happened before in the past.

v.

• 3. dleedlee  |  April 3, 2009 at 5:14 pm

Hurray for the phone-cam. Was someone just planted behind the singer filming him, or what? He must have been ‘distracted’ while this was going on. 🙂 And I thought karaoke rooms were just for singing!

• 4. valeriesoe  |  April 3, 2009 at 7:08 pm

Are you suggesting that Francis didn’t consent to being video’d? I’m sure he was in the karaoke room specifically NOT to sing so he thought he was safe. I’ve seen all of those triad movies and no one ever sings in the karaoke rooms. Cocaine and bar girls, yes, singing, no.

It’s probably a sad state of affairs when a person can’t have an unobserved extramarital liason in a karaoke room without someone secretly breaking out the video camera. Damn those Hong Kong reporters.

• 5. wongsaurus  |  April 3, 2009 at 7:25 pm

Aah. Lifestyles of the rich and famous. As much as we may admire a film idol and wish to put him on a pedestal, this just goes to show that celebrities are just flawed people like everyone else. What he has been caught doing is nothing that any other middle-aged married guy would do if given the opportunity. As Francis’ fanbase is not particularly a bunch of crazed females, these incidents probably won’t do much harm his career. As for relations with his wife, she will likely suffer in silence as countless other Chinese women have done since the beginning of time. Or she can make a huge scene for the media and bring down the wrath of an outraged public over his moral indiscretions. Available young women are an occupational condition of the entertainment industry and thus it is also an occupational hazard to spousal relationships. Thankfully I am not star-struck by celebrities and so when an actor whom I admire is caught behaving as a cad it doesn’t particularly affect my perception of him on screen. I don’t condone his crappy conduct but at the same time I can understand the behavior as Chinese hetero male human nature. Enough of my blabbing, got to get back to LHKF mod duties!

• 6. valeriesoe  |  April 3, 2009 at 7:47 pm

Wongsaurus,

Totally agree–I feel sorry for the wife, though, but I’m sure she knows what side her bread is buttered on, so to speak, so she’s not going to utter a peep. Her comfort is tied to his career success, so she’s stuck with him and his stepping out. Unless she’s got a really good lawyer and she’s so pissed she’s willing to go there, which I doubt, seeing as she already glossed over the Ellen Chen thing.

Okay, enough idle idol chat–thanks for reading!

v.

• 7. ewaffle  |  April 9, 2009 at 1:00 am

If there is a role that Frances Ng is not suited for it might be “typical husband on Saturday afternoon anywhere in the capitalist world”.

My first reaction to Ng waiting dutifully in the car while his wife shops was “What the…” Seems to be laying it on a bit thick but with the hair trigger sensibilities (metaphors by MixMaster) and long memories among Hong Kong audiences maybe overdoing it is just right.

A big congratulations on 10K hits.

• 8. valeriesoe  |  April 9, 2009 at 5:09 am

Hey E,

you wrote:

But you’d think he’d come up with a better strategy (like being more careful in the first place, for instance). But I’m not from Hong Kong so I can’t say what people expect there. Maybe this public parade of marital harmony is expected and it’s enough to assuage any suspicions of misbehavior. Who knows? Maybe it will work. I don’t suppose it can hurt and maybe folks in HK are less cynical than I am. All I really want is for Francis Ng to be able to make more movies.

A big congratulations on 10K hits.

Thanks! I owe it all to Edison Chen. Every day there are dozens of hits from people searching “edison chen sex pictures” and variations. Crazy—but I’ll take the traffic however it comes.

v.

• […] the pix around the ‘net and it seemed like Francis had again been caught with his pants down (see Ellen Chen karaoke oopsie). However, upon closer examination it was apparent that the photos were […]